Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Mo

We the people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria having firmly and solemnly resolved yada, yada, yada,…. have decided that we want power, education, health, agriculture, roads, and security …. like yesterday!

With all the orisirisi states of emergency that Yar’Adua has been declaring since assuming power, it is almost starting to feel like JFK Airport during a Red Alert. Knowing however that I will be described as tall before all of these get sorted simultaneously, I have made my own wish list in order of priority:

Security- it kind of makes sense to be alive and in one piece in the first place before expecting anything else, eh?;

Power- and this is because I don’t want the first two words that come out of my issue’s mouth to be UP NEPA!;

Roads- in the absence of underground transportation, and due to my non-existent otherworldly transportation powers;

Health- I figure that if my life and limbs are protected from stray bullets, and I don’t succumb to malaria due to mosquitoes that attack when there is no NEPA, and I don’t get body pain from the ubiquitous craters I run into everyday on the roads, the odds are great that I might be able to avoid drugs and hospitals for long periods of time. And there is always alternative medicine!;

Education- selfish I know, but hey ever since I quit being a student, ASUU’s antics only amuse me; AND

Agriculture- who needs food anyway; we should all be on a diet!

Which would you rather have resolved first and in what order should the others follow?

P.S. The results of this poll will be collated by the Ministry of Information’s Dept. of A Listening Ear

1 comment:

Tolantino said...

As for me, I would definitely start with Power I honestly believe that if the Nigerian government can fix this power problem, then at least the Nigerian economy will start to advance and attract a lot of investment. Small business can flourish, people can start to manufacture and ultimately things will start to look up of the country

The next one on my list has got to be Security. Security so that we Nigerians can start to enjoy the stable 24/7 Power Supply. And by this, I mean, being free to drive on well lighted streets at whatever hour of the day. Knowing that I am able to open a business in the country without area boys coming to cart away all my machinery/equipment and also, security so that the country can guarantee the safety of the many expatriates whom are now very fearsome of coming to invest in Nigeria as they think they will be kidnapped anywhere they go. Yeah.. the Niger Delta situation has really tarred the whole country’s image abroad

Agriculture can not flourish without Power to drive the industry. Shebi the whole country must to chop? This is a good place to put agriculture


Good Roads. It’s really sad to know that people are actually profiting from the current abysmal state of roads in Nigeria. Hawkers, beggars, Area boys, armed robbers. Infact, I am fully convinced that some of these people have a hand in damaging the roads at night to deliberately slow down traffic so that they can conduct their business and will have no problems sabotaging efforts to improve the roads. So, Security first and then engineers can come and build roads amongst other things

This is where Health now comes in. We have power, the country is secured, and good roads that will reduce the number of injured in the hospitals and also ensure that people can reach health facilities. We can now concentrate on improving and expanding the health infrastructures to reach the many millions in the country at affordable prices.

Education. Someone once told me that there is free education in Nigeria. I don’t know how true this is. I am putting education last not because I think the institutions are being managed well but because I can’t really find a place to put it.

All these elements are equally important for any nation’s growth and it is very difficult to place them one before the other. The best way forward would be to tackle all these problems simultaneously so that one sector is not left lagging behind the other.

This is my take

Now that I have taken my time to post my reply, it is only fair that you check out my blog.. www.adiso.blogpsot.com

I keep looking at your blog Bukky!

Take Kia