Monday, July 30, 2007

Sense of a Woman

Women are strange creatures. I know, I know, I don’t get any brownie points for this non-innovative discovery of mine. In my good moments, I can bash men with the best of them, but sometimes in my heart of hearts, I cannot but feel something akin to empathy with all the men who have to deal with women in different spheres of their daily lives.

I was with a group of girl friends this Saturday evening when one of us commented on another’s hair. You know the way us girls gush: “your hair is soooo nice; is it yours? (like duh!); where did you get it done?” To which the proud owner of the hair gave us entirely Too Much Information (TMI). The “hair” could be hers or not- It is all a matter of interpretation; it was on her head in any case. Her coiffure was that properly (read: expensively) done such that it would not have been obtuse of anyone who concluded that it was really her God-given hair. To her (and most other females), the highest compliment we could pay was that her ‘weave’ was done so well that it looked like her own hair.

On the flip side of that scenario is another young woman this time around also with nicely done hair, but “hers” rather than a weave. The buzz this time around was “oh my God! Is that your hair? It looks so much like a weave”! Now that also, was a compliment.

So here it is: when you have your natural hair on, you want that it looks like a ‘weave’; and when you have a ‘weave’ you want it so that it looks like natural hair!!!

Women! Go figure.

1 comment:

flabby said...

LOL..so true!!